Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Unthrifty loveliness, why dost thou spend Upon thyself thy beauty's legacy?

It was bright and early in the morning. I was up and ready to rock the world.

Dad chose then to poke his head and seriously rumpled hair out of his room. "Hey, Dad."

"Yes, Kitten?"

"You remember I wrote you were going to be my bass man if you weren't in a band?" I was pulling my guitar out of the assortment of bags still dumped near the door.

"Yes. I do."

"Well, are you in a band?"

He laughed, "Not yet Kitten, but I have a feeling that might just change."

"Well, go grab that bass and let's go rock the park. You can decide if that Art school was money well spent."

On our way to the park, we had noticed a car up in the bushes near City Hall. It looked like someone had been hitting the nectar too hard last night.

I hope no one was hurt. But I wonder how long it's going to be before the police tow that wreck away.

Once we got to the park, we set up near the centre and starting jamming.

It did take some time for anyone to notice our little jam session that day. Not that it mattered to Dad or me, we were finding our groove. We had to try a few times to find music that we both knew and each time find the rhythm that worked for us.

Dad's really a fine bass player. He could easily teach at my Arts school.

After a while, a few people like Brad Kane, stopped for a quick listen before heading to their jobs.  His son James was about to go to the public school just across the road.

It wasn't until late morning that we finally started to really attract a crowd. Mostly the town's self employed people and the ones who work at jobs that start late.

Uncle Hans, my mom Alaina, my new step-dad Travis were some of the faces that I knew in the audience. There were plenty of others that I didn't know by name, even if I knew their faces.

My cousin Picasso, who I haven't seen in ages managed to stop by. Most of them really seemed to enjoy the music too.

It was mid afternoon when I called to Dad. "Dad, I think I'd better stop for today."

He slowed down. He gave me a look like he was about to ask why, when suddenly he flexed his hand. "Woah, you are right, Cat. My fingers ache."

"My fingers are nearly nubs and my stomach thinks my throat has been cut."

"Not surprising," he replied. "Look at the time, we've been at this for hours."

I glanced in my guitar case and nearly fell over. There was a lot of money in there and more in Dad's collection jar. When we finished counting the money, we discovered that we'd earned over 500 simoleons from donations.

"Dad, does busking always pay this well?"

"Not in my experience, this was an unusually busy day in the park. Still, if art is what you love, then you play because it's what you just need to do. Your grandfather insisted on earning money through writing novels. The writing stressed him some but he just loved it." He looked at me with a grin. "Kitten, if that school managed to help all of your arts as much as it did guitar, then that was money very well spent. Even if we all missed you a lot."

Dad wandered off to chat to some people while I decided to go and grill some dogs.

Not the most exciting lunch on the planet and definitely not the healthiest. But when they've been grilled outside, they smell fantastic. They taste pretty darned good as well.

Unfortunately, one of the people who missed our music entirely was Jared. His work as a cop has him out fairly early in the morning. I left him a message that we were in the park if he wanted to pop by after work.

He arrived about 3 minutes after getting off duty from the police. I have a feeling that he wanted to see me again as much as I wanted to see him.

He met me with a big smooch. "Hey, Beautiful."

"Hey there, Handsome. You missed our concert." One of his eyebrows arched up. "Dad and I spent the morning jamming here. We had a good crowd too."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. Is there a way I can make it up to you?"

I nodded. "I can think of one. Would you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes, definitely, I'd love that. Cat, you are a special girl. I knew it from the moment we met."

I squeezed his hands. "I think you're pretty special as well, Jared. And there was that unicorn on our first date. If that's not a good omen, I don't know what is."

He laughed softly. "I know what you mean. It was a special night already, that date. And then there was a unicorn which brought it to a new level of special."

"Jared, I'd love it if you came home with me. Spent the night, get to meet my family."

"Cat, I'd love to meet your family. Do you think they are ready to meet me?"

"Sure, Dad would love it and so would everyone else. I live with my dad, my step mom, and my two half siblings."

We popped into a taxi and went home. The house was looking quiet, how long had the two of us spent together in the park?

"Do you think they are all asleep?" Jared asked softly.

"I don't know but maybe we should save the introductions for tomorrow."

He sat down and patted the ground next to him. "Let's watch some stars. I think there's supposed to be a meteor shower tonight."

What I really wanted to watch was Jared, not the sky. I admired him for a moment before nestling against him.


"Hey, they were right. There are some meteors in the sky tonight." We watched the distant falling stars. "You going to make a wish, Jared?"

"You know," he mused quietly, "I can't think of a thing to wish for just now. I believe my wishes came true very recently." I didn't have time to ask him what he meant. When I turned my head to look at him, he gave me a kiss that left me breathless. "You were what I wished for. I just had to meet you first."

---

What I'm really doing here is having Cat spend a few more days with her family so she can get to know her siblings. Also her dad Johnny might be able to reach his life want of mastering three skills. He has mastered sculpture. Bass and charisma are high level 8 or low level 9 so he can do it with some concentrated effort. And Mason wants to catch 20 small animals. He has inherited the family Collection Helper so the coming weekend, he should do it easily. He's already at 11. I think the Collection Helper is an heirloom from his granddad Sam Grant.

Odd moment: when you type in step-dad for Kaleeko's Travis Kane. For him to be Cat's step-dad just feels weird.
---

Bonus pics

For DreadPirateSara
Moe Pesce World Renown Surgeon

Good thing Cat is stronger than she looks. It just seems so wrong when the guy jumps into the girl's arms.

Happy couples spooning. It makes me happy to see. I've been watching my Sim couples do this for years and it still is endearing.

If the treehouse is rocking, don't come knocking.

Jared seems very pleased with his night's effort here.

Jared is leaving his shirt on for the moment. I blame that he's with Cat's family and is a little worried about being under dressed. :) Just you wait, dear boy. Grant men aren't allowed to be too fond of their clothes.

8 comments:

  1. So sweet. :) And LOL @ the car accident! Poor sim. Do you know who owned the car?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be in the mood for love stories. First Sammy and now this.

      No idea how the car thing happened, I assume it was just abandoned at an awkward moment.

      Delete
  2. Awesome story! Jared's a little hottie... :D

    -SimChick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed that. Jared is a hottie, I asked specially for him from Camimh who has kindly donated him to my cause.

      Should be pretty babies.

      Delete
  3. I agree, Jared is a hottie :D Isn't he in one of your other stories? I could be mistaken as Jared is not such an uncommon name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mikezumi, Jared is in the current Sammy story. I actually grabbed some particularly good looking Sims from their creators (with permission) because Barnacle Bay isn't doing well in population stats. Jared was one of three guys.

      Delete
  4. Clearly my comment from my phone was a fail the other day! lol Anyway! Yay Jared, you go! He does look rather proud of himself doesn't he? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, is that what happened? :)

      He is very proud of himself. And after the Sim weekend, he and Cat will be moving out and working on gen 4.

      Delete